Nowadays, it is common to experience iron deficiency. Some people turn to medicines like a liquid iron supplement for adults where some try to refresh their diet plans. However, nobody tries to make changes in their lifestyle. Well, you will be surprised to know that poor diet is not always the reason for iron deficiency in adults, sometimes there are other contributing factors as well.
So to quash the myths and enhance your knowledge, here we are with some surprising facts about iron. The facts are medical as well as non-medical in nature.
Non – Medical Facts
- The iron mineral has been known to the people for more than 5 Millennium.
- This Chemical element in the periodic table falls under the category of transition metal.
- Surprisingly, iron is one of the top 10 most common elements in the universe and the top 5 most common element in earth’s crust.
- Most of the outer, as well as the inner core of the earth, consists of iron.
- Largely iron is used to make steel which is an alloy of iron and carbon.
- As per experts of the field, “The amount of iron you need is: 8.7mg a day for men over 18. 14.8mg a day for women aged 19 to 50. 8.7mg a day for women over 50.”
- Vigorous exercise routines and workouts can also cause your body to lose iron content. Here the body loses the iron through sweat and urine in small amounts. This loss can cause iron deficiency without the adult knowing about it.
- Iron is not only necessary for making hemoglobin rather your whole body needs it. Iron is helpful in the development of the brain in children, concentration, memory, digestion, etc.
- The color of human blood is red due to the mixing of oxygen with iron.
- There are liquid iron supplements for adults available in the market for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Donating blood frequently without letting your body heal is one of the biggest reasons for iron deficiency among people.
- Paleness, Dizziness, and fatigue are not the only symptoms of iron deficiency. As per the experts, there are numerous symptoms that can suggest the deficiency. Every human body reacts differently when it comes to diseases and lack of necessary nutrients. Some people feel dizziness where others might feel headaches, irregularity in heartbeats, shortness of breath, etc.
- Iron deficiency is one of the most common nutritional deficiencies across the globe.
- Iron is also an immunity booster. It keeps your body’s guardians energized and ready to fight the diseases.
- Iron is categorized into two parts – Heme Iron and Nonheme Iron. The only difference in both types is the ability to be absorbed by the body easily. Heme iron is easily absorbed by the body. Hence, making it good iron to consume.
- Every human body is different and reacts differently to different kinds of simulations. When it comes to food – specifically iron, some people’s bodies are unable to absorb iron content from the food they intake. It can happen due to numerous reasons like obesity, health issues, etc. Hence they face the deficiency of this mineral in the longer run.
- Vegetarians or Vegan diet followers can also face iron deficiency. There are lots of vegetables which are a good source of iron. However, most of the time the amount of diet consumed does not meet the daily requirement of iron. So plan your diet in a better way.
- Consult a doctor before consuming any kind of liquid iron supplement for adults. An experienced professional can guide you about the right dosage to make a more informed decision.
There are always facts and researches bringing something new to the table every minute. The facts which are surprising now may look common after some time. And there will be a new set of facts throwing more light on the mineral or its usage. However, the one fact which will always remain important is that iron is a necessity of the human body. It helps in multiple ways to live a healthy life. Make sure your body is getting proper nutrients all the time.