Anxiety is one of the chronic problems of today’s times!
Most of us are aware of the feeling of the heart beating faster in response to stressful situations. At the time of confronting an overwhelming situation, your palms can get sweaty.
Even if you are an over-achiever, it is quite difficult to stop the fear if you have high functioning anxiety disorder. If every moment is painful, crushing and exhausting, you experience the tension in guts, shallow breathing and rapid heartbeat for most of the time then you can rest assured that your anxiety is going out of hands.
The anxiety destroys your productivity, your confidence, your relationships and your ability to continue with life. Here are some symptoms of GAD or Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
Symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Having problem while feeling asleep
- Feeling tensed or experiencing body aches and tightness of muscles
- Feeling restless, edgy or jumpy
- Stomach problems like diarrhoea, nausea
- Problem in concentrating
- Being Unable to relax
- Stomach problems
- Feeling restless or edgy
Emotional Symptoms of GAD
- Experiencing Your Anxiety is Uncontrollable
- Having Constant Worries
- Inability to Tolerate the Uncertainty
- Intrusive Thoughts
- Dread or Pervasive Feeling of Anxiety
Here are certain tactics for coping with your anxiety. Just take a look.
- Recognize the Symptoms for What They Are – The mental illnesses are partly biological and therefore knowing the symptoms that are mentioned above will help you to cope with the situation better. Once you realize that you have anxiety you know why you ruminate on simple decisions or obsess over a conversation. As mental illness is just like a physical problem you should be able to convince yourself that it is anxiety acting on you and you can focus your energy on something else.
- Use Relaxation and Deep Breathing – By deliberately relaxing the muscles you can start to calm down. This way you can think clearly. If you practice this initially without the presence of any threat, it can start to get automatic and it will be simpler to use it when you get anxious. The deep breath involves the parasympathetic nervous system to put breaks on the sympathetic arousal which permits you to be cooler and calmer.
- Befriend Your Fear – Fear is your buddy if you have anxiety. Though you may not be a fan of the same, it is an indispensable part of your life. This motivates a lot of what you do. But try to analyze your fears and why they are so focussed on the approval of others! You should understand why they keep telling you that you are not successful enough. Understand that anxiety can’t be pretended or ignored. The anxiety cannot be ignored. Rather than enhancing your anxiety, you should understand what is causing you to deal with the anxiety. You will realize that much of the fear is related to your being accepted and liked rather than your desire to stand out. This will help you to deal with your fear in a much better way.
- Build a Strong System of Support – human beings are social creatures and they are not to live in isolation. But a strong system of support does not mean a vast friends’ network. Even just a few friends can come to your rescue in a big way. You can count and trust them to be there.
- Accept It as Not the End of the World – Even though a bad event has happened, life still continues. You have to learn to deal with this by embracing the coping mechanisms, by creating a strong support system and by self-analyzing. It is essential that you realize very few things mean to be the end of the world.
- Try Supplements or Change the Diet –Taking the supplements or altering your diet is definitely a long-term strategy. The research shows certain nutrients or supplements that can assist in the reduction of anxiety. The anti-anxiety food supplements include the following –
- Lemon balm
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Green tea
- Kava kava
- Valerian root
- Dark chocolate
However, it can take up to 3 months for the body to actually start realizing the nutrition of these foods and herbs offer. If you are taking other medications, you should ensure to discuss the herbal remedies with the doctor.
Anxiety is a huge problem. But the best part is that just like dental appliances for sleep apnea there are also some proper medications and coping mechanisms that will help in controlling the anxiety. So you must consult with the doctor if you find that your anxiety is going out of control.