Are you the one among those who are in search of peace? Looking for an easy relief in the stress-filled world? A simple one-word solution for your problem is practicing “Mediation”. What is meditation is the first and foremost thing one should understand before practicing meditation.
WHAT IS MEDITATION?
To think or ponder is what the dictionary defines meditation, Meditation simply is a practice of using various techniques for achieving a clear and calm mind which will lead to a peaceful life. It has been practiced since antiquity.
There are different types of techniques available to meditate. One can use any of the following techniques listed below as the meditation technique. Do detailed research before following any particular technique not only to master it but also to enjoy the 100% benefits of it
- Focusing-Tibetan meditation practice in which individual focus on a particular object or thing like breathing, image or words (concentrative meditation)
- Mindfulness- a modern form of meditation which involves observing the wandering thoughts in our mind but not getting involved with them or judging them, but only aware of them. (non-judgmental form).
- Practicing techniques as mentioned above.
- No thoughts- practicing yoga
- Moving meditation techniques- walking meditation.
- Automatic self-transcendental meditation- using mantras. It is neither focusing nor observational type of meditation in which one rests his/her body and mind very deeply.
USES OF MEDITATION:
The main goal of meditation is to produce mental well-being by reducing stress and providing relaxation.
This relaxation is caused by a reduction of our sympathetic nervous system activity which will provide short-term benefits like,
- Decrease the respiratory rate
- Decrease perspiration
- Reduces anxiety
- Reduces stress
- Increases the blood circulation
- Decreases the blood pressure
- Decreases the cortisol level
Other benefits are increases the attention span (useful for students), enhances self-awareness, promotes emotional health, helps to overcome addictions, decreases age-related memory loss, improves sleep.
One can practice meditation anywhere. Meditation does not require any special types of equipment. Meditate daily for the emotional and mental well being.
- Choose the place where you can meditate without any distraction
- Make yourself Relaxed by sitting erect or lying down. Don’t force yourself. Relax!!
- Close your eyes (Don’t sleep) and make yourself out of the world and enter into the world of peace.
- Take deep breaths(inhalation and exhalation).
- Focus your attention on your breaths.
This is the technique for beginners. One can use methods mentioned above for meditation. Initially meditate for a period of three to five minutes and slowly increase the period. In the transcendental method of meditation, they request to meditate for 20 minutes twice per day. Join meditation classes if you feel you require guidance from experts.
Experience is what will make you understand more. The benefits you enjoy upon practicing regularly is the reality of the meditation which will change the reality of your life and cleanses your mind.